Saturday, July 25, 2009

He...Hello, Marblemouth, Is That You???


Is it just me? I guess it could be but it seems like since the 'Law' went into effect last year banning cell phone use while driving, I have noticed three times as many people talking on their cell phones as before. Maybe I'm just more sensitive to all these 'law breakers', I'm just not sure but it seems that there are so many more drivers 'testing' the law and tempting fate.As I pulled into the left turn lane the other day to wait for the signal to change, there just happened to be a Police car 'kitty corner' to where I was sitting, also waiting for the light to change in his direction. My first thought was "good thing I'm not on my Cell, I just know I'd get a ticket." I don't know about you but $271 is alot of money to me, especially these days. Heck, you could almost get a new iPhone for that price.

While I waited to turn, of course the guy that pulls up on my right side is on his cell phone but my car is blocking him from the Officers view, so he's safe. Finally the light turns green and both he and I make the turn, him on his cell phone and me pissed that he's gettin' away with it. I surely would have gotten a ticket, that's just how my luck works.

So I 'roll up' to the next red light signal, happy to be obeying the law. Turns out now I'm next to a woman that's also on her cell phone but she's having a bit more trouble carrying on her conversation. How do I know this, being in a different car and all? Well, it's because she's also eating a hamburger at the same time! I tried to show a bit of empathy for her plight, after all I'd hate to be in her shoes. I mean, last thing I want is to have her burger get cold or heaven forbid, not be able to 'yap' with her friend on the other end of the line about all the crap[ooops, I mean stuff] that happened last night on Desperate Housewives. That is, until I see her 'dig' into her lap, pull out a handfull of French Fries and shove them in her mouth. Now my empathy has turned to jealousy because I LOVE FRENCH FRIES! Now keep in mind this is all happening as traffic is flowing @ 55MPH!!! "Ok, calm down," I tell myself but yet I can't help but be mad [jealous] that she's able to illegaly talk on the phone and at the same time enjoy such a wonderful eating experience. Good thing she's goin' about 10 mph over the Speed Limit so thankfully I don't have to watch this for too long.

On to the next red light we go. OK, now we're talkin'. I finally feel as if the Lawmakers are making a difference, someone is actually obeying the law. Yep, you guessed it, next to me is a woman with a 'Star Trek' earpiece stuck to the side of her head. My first thought is to roll my window down and yell to her, "Thank you for obeying the Law! I truly appreciate it and feel a little bit safer on the roads these days because of the efforts of people such as yourself."

Now, I'll be the first to admit I can't stand trying to have a conversation with someone while they are 'hooked up' to those Bluetooth 'things'. For some reason it seems like the ones that cost $199.95 transmit voices just as terribly as those that cost $19.95, not too mention all of the surrounding background noise that comes through just as much as their voice does. Reminds me of trying to talk to someone on a rotary dial phone, 3000 miles away, with marbles in their mouth. But hey, at least they are obeying the Law and so naturally you have to cut them some slack. At the last second the light turns green, so I decide to keep my window rolled up and my 'Atta' Girl' to myself, content to just go with the flow of traffic to the next red light.


Suddenly, something strikes me as odd. Traffic is moving forward at a good pace but yet she hasn't looked up from her lap and we have already driven 500 yards since the light turned green. Is she fiddlin' with the A/C? Perhaps changin' CDs? Does she have any idea that there's another red light comin' up and very quickly at that? Finally she looks up to check on traffic conditions, just in case she might need to see what's goin' on around her, which is a good thing because the signal light has turned red. Wait a minute, what's that in her hand? No, say it ain't so! This law abiding citizen with the 'Lt. Ohura' earphone stuck to her head is staring at her cell phone WHILE SHE'S TEXTING!

Now I realize that originally the 'Powers that be' messed up and didn't include it in the law but now it is officially illegal to text while driving, which I can't understand how they could have passed the new law last year having left this out because it goes against the 'Laws' of common sense. I mean c'mon, even if you are talking on your cell phone while driving, you might be a bit distracted but at least your eyes are facing forward and you're somewhat cognizant of what's going on around you. But when people text while driving, their gaze is concentrated on their little keypad and definitely not on the road conditions.

Talk about a recipe for disaster. Oh, I know that there are some 'pro texters' out there that can text 'one thumbed' while blindfolded but for the other 99% of us out on the road, I'd feel a heck of alot better if they had their eyes on the road instead of the little screen on their cell phones. Maybe I need to get a bumper sticker for the back of my car that says "Watch My Rear, Not Your Qwerty Keypad!" Probably wouldn't do much good though, they aren't paying any attention to the car in front of them anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment