Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Wut, learn from me? Heck, I'm no Guru!

I've been 'socializing' on the various Social Media Sites for just about a year now. Matter of fact, that actually seems a bit strange to me as it feels like it's only been a few months but as I look back, I guess I started some time around October of 2008. I never really took it too seriously, in fact prior to that I just thought of those Sites as another form of texting for the younger 'textheads' out there. Certainly nothing that I would be interested in getting involved with, that's for sure. I used the internet for Real Estate stuff, as I'm a Realtor but never looked into it beyond that.

But through a series of odd circumstances, I ended up sending an online response to an article that was printed in our local newspaper along with being posted on the newspapers website. Why this was important to me brings up an entirely different story and one that I'm sure I'll elaborate more on in the future but let's just say that I wanted to let my opinion of the situation be known. So after 'signing up' for the Newspaper Site, which was required of me before I could post my comment, I let my opinion be known to whomever else might have been 'out there' and wanted to take the time to read it.

Then the strangest thing happened. Somebody actually responded to my response. Well, let's just say they commented on my reply. Low and behold, they agreed with me. And as I'm admittedly very opinionated and feel strongly about what I believe in, it definitely made me feel good to know there were 'others' out there that shared my opinions. Next thing you know, a few more replies came in. Not all in agreement with each other but I must say I was surprised at how many people actually read this stuff and felt compelled enough to add their $.02 to the conversation. I enjoyed the banter back and forth between all the interested parties.

That's when it dawned on me. There was an entire world of people on the Internet and sure enough, they had actual thoughts and opinions of their own. Actual adults, not just 'textophiles' but grown ups with intelligence and wit, all wanting their voices to be heard. All of a sudden I began to feel like I belonged. Not quite sure what I belonged to but in essence it was a group of friends, a community of sorts. Great thing about it, they all came from different backgrounds and had varying reasons for being involved, yet there seemed to be some kind of comraderie between them. Which added to the long list of topics in which they felt compelled to respond, to voice their opinions. Which only added to the possibilities of interaction and the chances to learn and grow. To begin to see things through the eyes of others. I've always felt that it's never to late to learn and this surely was going to be a great way to do just that.

As time went on, I got a bit more involved with the group. The online community of people that wanted to express themselves. Even going so far as to attend a 'meetup' of sorts, a get together just to gab over a cup of coffee. It was great to put actual faces to the online 'personalities' that I had interacted with through my computer monitor. Some held close to what and who I had imagined them to be but for the most part I would have to say the overall group were nothing like I had imagined. Definitely an eye opening experience and proof positive that the old adage still holds true. "Don't judge a book by it's cover."

So as time went on, I continued to let my opinions and thoughts on various subjects be known. And as I have always had a desire to express myself and my thoughts through my writing, I must say that I enjoyed it more and more as time went on. As feedback began to come in, both positive and negative, I began to feel more comfortable putting my feelings 'out there', letting others interact and express their feelings as well. And as I mentioned earlier, with my always wanting to be a writer, my posts began to get longer and longer. That's also when I began to notice the difference between my posts and others that I had been reading. Mine were double and sometimes triple the amount of words as others and I was already doing my best to shorten mine while still keeping them ledgible. Like it or not, I was outgrowing this Site.

That's about the time one of my new found 'friends' suggested I check out MySpace. Perhaps it was a hint ot kinda 'get lost', not really sure. That Site would allow me to Blog to my hearts content without having to 'shrink' my thoughts down in order to fit in. Now, from what I had heard about MySpace, which admittedly wasn't [and isn't] much, wasn't this just another 'teen friendly' Site where kids hang out? It never dawned on me that there might actually be adults on there, let alone a place to blog. But since I had never even actually looked at the site, I thought I'd take the advice of others and check it out. Wow, was I surprised at what I found. Turns out I even found some real life friends that were on that site.

And so I began to explore more, learn more and post more. It was a great beginning for me as it allowed me to write to my hearts content without feeling as if I had to restrict my writing to a certain length or topic. Now, I can't actually say I was fully free to write as much as I wanted. For some reason I always feel the need to shorten my stories in order to keep my readers 'hanging on' with interest, yet the spectrum of topics is limitless.

Another thing I really liked about that site was the ability to 'customize' my profile with different themes, widgets, sayings, music playlists and all sorts of gadgets which allowed my personality to show through. I have to say that that was my favorite part of the MySpace experience. I had never looked at MySpace as a Biz Opp of any sort, just as a way to express myself, to get things off my chest. Turns out along the way I actually made a few friends. Unfortunately, as much as I'd like to say that all the connections I made worked out great, just as in 'real life' they didn't and for the most part that is what eventually drove me away from MySpace. Just too many bad memories, too many heartbreaks and for the most part I only log in there every few weeks or so just to update my status. I don't delete my profile as I can't seem to come to grips with letting it go but I would have to think I will in the near future. I have found other outlets for my blogging, my videos and as it doesn't seem to be the huge Biz Opp lead generator that it once was [or at least I'm told it was], it's usefulness will surely come to an end in the near future.

But while I was on MySpace, I'd heard about Facebook and You Tube. Even more recently, I began to hear about a Site called Twitter. Of course from what I'd heard of these sites, I surely had no interest in them whatsoever. Keep in mind that at that point I had no desire to explore any type of an online business. But as 'things' have continued to happen in my life and my entire future has been wiped out, I began to look further into other avenues of making a living. Which have of course forced me to begin to explore other methods including working online leading me to further explore these and other Social Media sites. Not to say that I've learned a whole lot but I'd like to think that I know more about the internet and some of its online 'neighborhoods' than I did eight months ago. And had I gone in to it with more focus on the business aspect of these sites, just a better focus in general, it's a given that I could have learned a whole bunch more.

Which brings me back to my original thought, the main reason that I began writing this post which is how on earth did this person get the crazy idea that they would have the slightest thing at all to learn from me? Well, nothing much except learning not to make the same mistakes I've made in my life. But heck, to be honest I'd truly enjoy knowing that I had helped somebody live their life with even one less regret than I currently live with in mine. Now as far as my having any useful knowledge, new found knowledge of something that is applicable in todays world, a relevant 'nugget' of sorts that I could pass along to help someone get a bit further ahead either on the internet or just in life in general, I have to say that would really be great if that was the case.

And that's when it dawned on me. Perhaps I'm not the last person to discover the internet. Maybe I'm not the last one off the Titanic searching for a 'life boat' of sorts, a new direction and a new way of thinking. I seem to always have the feeling that I'm late, the last in line, the last person to board the train. That life has somehow passed me by. But maybe it's different this time, maybe I'm not last? I have no idea what the exact statistics are but I read somewhere that there are lots of new people jumping on board the Internet train daily, exploring all kinds of avenues. Not just biz related opportunities but connecting, socializing in general, looking for answers to questions and like minded people with which to connect.

So maybe, just maybe I do have something to offer someone out there. A 'nugget' of some sort that I can share that just might help someone to get started on their journey, move a bit further along on their life path. A piece to someone elses puzzle. I'm not quite sure yet exactly how I'm gonna do that but I would have to think that if I continue my blogging and online socializing, something will eek out of me that will resonate with another like minded individual and who knows where that could lead. Could be a friend tells a friend and so on. Before you know it, woo hoo, I've actually helped two people. Then it's just a snowball from there. Next thing you know, I'm writing novels, doing book tours, seminars all over the country. Heck, what's to stop me? Why not all over the world? I dream of being able to tavel the world and what better way to accomplish that than enjoying what you're doing while out exploring everything this wonderful world has to offer. Even crazier, what if you actually end up becoming one of those so called 'Gurus', those imaginary people that the masses turn to for guidance? Ok, I admit that part is a bit far fetched but heck, if you're gonna dream, might as well dream big!

So what ever it is that motivates you, that drives you to search for ways to improve yourself and your life, just put yourself out there. Be proactive, don't be afraid to take action because without action there can be no results, no possibility of change. And who knows, you too might have a new found friend, someone you never knew existed let alone ever expected to 'meet', that is willing to listen to what you have to say and can in some way benefit from your experience and words of wisdom. That just might make all the ups and downs of your life somehow seem worth it. So don't be late, get on board the train. The world is waiting for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment