Sunday, March 28, 2010

I Just Wanna Cash In On My Passion

Is that so wrong? Too much to ask? It's the age old battle, I would assume pretty much since the beginning of time. How can I spend my days (or nights) doing what I love, following my passions as opposed to spending an entire lifetime following the rest of the sheep, herded along the freeways, taking the safe road to nowhere and not too happy about it.


After all, isn't working at what you enjoy more or less like not working at all? Wouldn't you much rather spend your days with a big smile on your face as opposed to a permanent frown? I know I would, that's for sure.

And when you do something you're passionate about, you end up with a much nicer end result. Such a wonderful feeling of accomplishment from a job well done. Can you just imagine the feeling of never wanting your day to end because you're having so much fun? Only to be surpassed by the relentless amount of sleepless nights, laying there, so amped up thinking about all the things you want to accomplish the next day. Heck, who needs an alarm clock when you never actually fall asleep anyway. Hard to imagine lack of sleep being a 'good thing' but I guess in this case it would be.

No doubt that's the life I wanna live. Knowing that tomorrow is going to be even better than today was. Wouldn't that be the greatest life ever? I'd have to think so.

OK then, now that we know HOW we want our life to be, how to we go about creating the life of our dreams? In essence, how do we cash in on our passion?

First off, we need to identify what it is we are actually passionate about. Basically it comes down to a matter of deciding what it is you'r look forward to waking up and doing every day, rain or shine, regardless of whether or not you were getting paid to do it.

I can name a few things right off the bat. I've always had a passion for Antiques & Collectibles. The thrill of the hunt, the rush of the 'discovery', the interaction with the current 'custodian' as it relates to purchasing the object, overcoming my overwhelming desire to own every rare antiquity on earth & finding a 'new' caretaker and lastly, the 'warm 'n' fuzzies' I get from knowing that my 'find' is on it's way to a new home, increasing the enjoyment of all others that get to view it. And then the process begins again. Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose but it never seems to diminish the thrill of the hunt.

Another dream of mine, ever since I wrote my first short story back in Elementary School has been to be a Writer. Most likely fiction but as much as I enjoy writing from my heart, it's entirely possible that I would also dabble in the non fiction genre a bit. As I'm sure you can tell I've never actually taken any writing classes or persued it in any way so perhaps it's the fact that Stephen King and I share the same birthday (NO, not the same year!) that might have something to do with my passion for writing, I'm not exactly sure. One thing's for certain though, I really love Blogging and would truly enjoy taking it to another level.



I'd have to say that the third thing on my 'list' would be painting Murals. My goal would be to learn how to paint Trompe L' O'eil, "Trick Of The Eye" Murals for both indoor and outdoor applications. For those unfamiliar with this style of art, in essence it's creating the realistic feeling of something that although you know darn well it's not really there, it appears so realistic that you have to question yourself as to what you're actually looking at.

This can be as simple as a Faux plaster finish on an interior wall, maybe a 'window' with a view of the vineyard in the distance all the way up to a giant 'hole' in the outside wall of a building, thereby allowing a 'peek' inside at the huge bank vault within, containing all kinds of untold riches.



Of course, all of these scenarios are only limited by ones imagination. Unfortunately, this painting technique requires years of training and as such will have to remain a ways down on my list of 'wannados'. Right next to scowering the oceans of the world in search of sunken Spanish Gallions and Pirate Ships. I'm so enthralled by the thought of uncovering undiscovered treasures, one of a kind artifacts, things that mere money can't buy. I get tingles just thinking about it. I guess I have some sort of an Indiana Jones complex.


So with the last two 'passions' on my list being a bit out of reach (for now) it's still entirely possible that I could make a go of the other two. I'm enamored with history and to be able to travel the globe in search of the 'rarest of the rare', 'only one in existence' type items, with unlimited funding from a long list of interested buyers eagerly anticipating my next 'find' would truly be a dream come true. To peruse thousand year old buildings throughout Europe in search of who knows what and learning everything I can about the countries and their cultures would just be icing on the cake. And then to top it off, if I could write about my adventures along the way. My life truly would be a dream come true.



So with all that being said, now comes the difficult part. How do I go about creating this so called 'dream life'. How do I bridge the 'gap' between following my passions, in hopes of making money rather than merely trying to find something that will keep me afloat for now, another 'quick fix', regardless of whether or not I enjoy it. No doubt it's gonna take a huge leap of faith on my part to even remain focused long enough to give it a shot.

Especially in todays turbulent world, it can be very difficult to risk everything (or in my case what little I have left) to take a chance on living a life full of fun & pleasure. Not that there are any guarantees of making money these days by following a safer, risk free path yet it can still be much more dangerous to climb out on the ledge and take a leap of faith, hoping for a smooth landing.

If you're anything like me, I grew up thinking that work was a necessary evil we were all forced to endure in order to survive. Definitely not something to look forward to, that's for sure. Anything you wanted to do or enjoyed doing would have to be squeezed in 'after' work hours.

Getting over that 'guilt trip' is a challenge in itself. Let alone coming up with a way to monetize my passions. It's no wonder I never attempted this transition to fun and freedom prior to this, it appears to be a road filled with land mines, all of them just waiting to explode.

Should I even allow myself to dream of such a fantasy life, a life of traveling around the world in search of the unknown? An endless list of anxious buyers, eagerly awaiting my latest Blog Post direct from a beautiful white sand beach in Bora Bora, boasting of all my newly found treasures. A life where my biggest problem is where to have these treasures shipped and remembering which bank account in Monaco I want the money to be deposited in. I get the warm 'n' fuzzies just thinkin' about it.


I guess what it truly comes down to is the fact that it's entirely up to me to change my life. To create the life of my dreams. No one else is gonna do it for me, that's for sure. In fact I've come to realize that mentioning to others about how you plan on changing your life for the better only brings out feelings of animosity and then the negativity begins to flow. "How dare you try to enjoy your life when I'm stuck here at my 9 to 5 job, kids, mortgage, car payments, living paycheck to paycheck and no way out." At least from those that still have a 'regular' job, not exactly a gimme in todays economy.

I've always known I wasn't a 9 to 5er, yet I lived that life for many years. It was a miserable existance and one I'm not eager to go back to. I enjoy Real Estate (at least the way it USED to be) but until the RE Market comes back, not much guaranteed income there either. Hmmmm, what is it then that I'm really risking here? No wife, no kids, no mortgage, maybe there really is no better time than now to give this thing a shot. Why not? Why not cash in on my passion? The only thing stopping me....is me.

No comments:

Post a Comment